Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My grandma's legacy


My sweet Grandma, went to be with Jesus last Wednesday after suffering from dementia for over 5 years. I miss her so much that my heart physically aches. But at the same time, I am so happy for her. She doesn't hurt anymore, she can speak in clear sentences, tell the most beautiful stories and sing her favorite hymns at the feet of her Savior.

One of the most comforting thoughts this week is thinking that she is finally reunited with the love of her life, my precious grandaddy, after 20 years and 1 week. I don't think the English language contains words to articulate just how much she missed him.

I'm gonna miss her. Oh, am I gonna miss her! I'm gonna miss coming into my momma's house and see her sitting in her recliner... im gonna miss plopping down on her arm rest and fitting perfectly in the curve of her shoulder...im going to miss giving her big ole bear hugs... taking her for rides...and chit chatting over tony's chocolate milkshakes.

But the most important things we shared, I'm not going to miss because they are embedded inside me-- her love for family (we love nothing more than big family get togethers in her den), her passion and dedication to serving others and most importantly her love for our Heavenly Father.

I am so thankful and honored that I was chosen to be her granddaughter. My hope is that I can carry the legacy she instilled in me to my children and grandchildren.


The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Ps 34:18

1 comment: